CPES Multidisciplinary Undergraduate degree
Combining the best of preparatory classes and university education
Created in 2012 by PSL and Lycée Henri-IV, the “CPES” Multidisciplinary undergraduate degree is an unprecedented undergraduate format among higher education institutions in France, combining the best of both university education and preparatory classes for France’s top graduate schools (Grandes Écoles). Hosted by some of the world’s most prestigious institutions of higher education, the ambition of CPES is to educate high-potential students who are both daring and creative, to become the decision-makers, researchers and entrepreneurs of the business, academic and cultural spheres of tomorrow.
Based on the principle of progressive specialization, this first-rate multidisciplinary undergraduate (Bac+3) education provides exposure to culture, creativity, innovation, projects-based teaching, and research-based learning.
The goal? Create the new decision-makers, researchers and entrepreneurs of the business, academic and cultural spheres of tomorrow.
- First year: Hosted at Lycée Henri-IV, with a choice of one of three tracks (Humanities, Science, or Economics, Social Science and Law). Multidisciplinary core curriculum.
- Second year: Progressive exposure to France’s top graduate schools (Grandes Écoles) and universities, plus selection of major (Experimental Science, Mathematics, Economics and Society, Mathematics and Society, Philosophy, History, Art History and Theory).
- Third year: Selection of specialization (Economics, Social Science, Law, Mathematics, Experimental Science, Philosophy, History, Art History and Theory).
Who should apply?
The CPES is a highly demanding program, designed for students from France or abroad who are curious and creative, and who display critical thinking.
Depending on each student’s specific track (chosen specialization), the curriculum leads to different credentials (Physics, Chemistry, History, Art History and Theory, Philosophy etc.)
The CPES degree (for "cycle pluridisciplinaire d’études supérieures”) is a selective bachelor degree with “grade de licence” awarded by the french government. More information: Official decree
For the record, the selection rate for access to this diploma is among the highest in France (3500 high school candidates for a capacity of 150 students in the first year).More than 90% of our first-year students achieved high school with highest honors.
- Access to an exceptional academic ecosystem comprised of 13 higher education institutions covering all fields of knowledge, from the sciences to literature and the arts.
- Supervisory guidance from the preparatory class format, with autonomy and education through university research
- Customizable curriculum following the Anglo-Saxon model: Multidisciplinary common core, electives, major/minor
- Varied teaching formats: Small class sizes, practicums, lectures, seminars, group work, orals, mentoring
- Progressive specialization over three years
- Personalized guidance and support systems (housing at the CIUP student residences, for example)
- 100% rate of follow-on studies (Grandes Écoles and competitively-selected Master’s programs at the best universities in France and abroad)
Applying for first-year CPES
Prerequisites: To apply, you must have already completed or be in the process of completing a general secondary education French baccalauréat diploma (obtained in France or abroad).
Admissions are based on application on the French platform for managing undergraduate applications : Parcourssup.
Applying for second or third-year CPES
CPES admits students directly to the second and third years who have already passed one or two years of higher education study (Grandes Écoles preparatory classes or university coursework) and who are looking for a change in academic path.
Admissions are based on an application which can be downloaded from the PSL applications portal.
Find your course
- By degree
- By discipline
- Archives – Documentation
- Plastic Arts
- Banking - Finance - Insurance
- Communications - Journalism
- Sustainable development
- Area Studies
- Corporate finance
- Geography - Geopolitics
- Business Administration - Management
- Art History
- Digital Humanities
- Computer Science
- Mechanics and Materials
- International Relations
- Human Resources
- Health - Medecine
- Cognitive science
- Earth sciences
- Engineering Science
- Political Science
- Religious sciences
- Social Science
- Space Science
- Life Sciences