Filtrer par :
- Associate members
- Research centers
Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique
The Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique (IBPC) was created in 1930 by the Edmond de Rothschild foundation. At the time, the IBPC was the only scientific institution to employ full-time researchers, biologists, physicists and chemists dedicated exclusively to advancing scientific knowledge. Designed by Jean Perrin, recipient of the 1926 Nobel Prize in Physics, the institute served as inspiration for the creation, ten years later, of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS).
The Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique (IBPC) is a research center founded in 1927 by philanthropist Edmond de Rothschild and Nobel Physics Laureate Jean Perrin. At the time of its inauguration in 1930, IBPC was said to be the most modern institute of its kind in France, and was the only scientific institution to employ full-time researchers dedicated exclusively to advancing scientific knowledge. The Institute serves as an open forum for engagement and exchange based on experiment-based and collective research fostering interdisciplinary relationships between biologists, chemists and physicists. The IBPC model served as inspiration for the future CNRS created in 1939.
Each year, the IBPC is host to 200 researchers, faculty, engineers and technicians, postdoctoral fellows, doctoral students, and student interns. In 1997, the Edmond de Rothschild foundation for the development of scientific research transferred scientific and administrative leadership of the Institute to the CNRS. The IBPC is now managed by a research federation and is home to five research groups hosted by the Institut des Sciences Biologiques (INSB) and the Institut des Sciences Chimiques (INC) at CNRS. The research groups are affiliated with one of two universities, Paris-Diderot and Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC). The Edmond de Rothschild foundation has continued its contributions in support of the institute’s scientific leadership through multiple initiatives, including sponsorship of a dissertation prize, funding for postdoctoral fellowships, creation of the prestigious Edmond de Rothschild chair, conferences, and provision of the Library’s collections.
The IBPC-Fondation Edmond de Rothschild has been an associate member of PSL since 2012. It maintains scientific partnerships with the Collège de France, ENS, ESPCI and Institut Curie. It is also a member of the Pierre Gilles de Gennes research foundation. The IBPC plays a major role in the Dynamo Labex and is a stakeholder in the CACSICE Equipex alongside the Institut Pasteur and Université Paris Descartes. Fully engaged with the international scientific community, the Institute regularly hosts seminars in its facilities.
The IBPC is located at 13, rue Pierre et Marie Curie, occupying 4900 m² at the heart the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève. Its facilities were designed and built specifically for the IBPC by architect Germain Debré. A first round of renovations took place in 1959, followed by further renovations and work to bring the buildings up to current standards, completed in 2008. The buildings are currently in excellent, optimal condition for fostering the institute’s research activities.