Quantum technologies are a strategic global topic for academia and industry. These disruptive technologies have the potential to revolutionise the design and implementation of information and communication sciences and technologies. France is investing nearly €2 billion in this field over the next four years.
A new interdisciplinary training programme in quantum technologies will be launched by PSL University in September 2022. It results from an unprecedented synergy between some of its founding schools, namely: Ecole normale supérieure, ESPCI, Mines Paris and the Observatoire de Paris, and it is part of PSL’s graduate programme in physics.
PSL's quantum engineering programme is a 5-year PhD Track that provides cutting-edge training, with garanteed 3-year funding for the doctorate and available scholarships for master’s degree. This programme aims at high-potential students wishing to take up the quantum challenges of tomorrow and to develop their scientific ambitions and their research project from the Master's level. It will train a new generation of “PhD-quantum-engineers” capable of designing and implementing quantum technologies in research, industry, finance and entrepreneurship.
The students of the master will be part of the thriving Parisian community in quantum technologies through the Paris Centre for Quantum Technologies, where the research efforts of the main Parisian universities converge.
- Be trained in the challenges of quantum physics and associated technologies, from the first year of the Master's program
- Contribute to cutting-edge research in a world-renowned interdisciplinary research ecosystem
- Become part of the next generation of quantum experts who will bring quantum science and engineering into next-level applications.
The PSL PhD track in Quantum engineering is a fully-funded 5-year program structured around two phases.
During the first phase, students follow courses from PSL’s master in Quantum engineering and start working towards their research project. The research master is a stepping-stone towards the second phase of the PhD track, during which students work on their research project in one of PSL’s lab.
Please consult the detailed program in the next tab "Program".
Sterring commitee of the Master:
Nicolas Bergeal (ESPCI Paris - PSL), Jérôme Lodewyck (Observatoire de Paris - PSL), Franck Pereira (Observatoire de Paris - PSL), Pierre Rouchon (Mines Paris - PSL), Philippe Goldner (Ecole nationale supérieure de Chimie de Paris - PSL), Carlo Sirtori (ENS - PSL)
Who should apply?
Students with bachelor’s or master's degrees in physics, mathematics, engineering etc. Prospective students should demonstrate depth of background in physics and mathematics.
Please note that the Master's program is taught in English (level C1 recommended)
This program leads to a large number of opportunities, especially:
- Private sector (Industry, Finance)
- An unprecedented "University + Engineering Schools" collaboration between some of the most prestigious institutions in Europe in the field of quantum research
- Immersion in a cutting-edge international research ecosystem, close to the largest laboratories and scientific innovation
- A strong link with the industrial and entrepreneurial world thanks to the partnerships of PSL and PCQT with the largest groups and startups
- Available scholarships for master’s degree & garanteed 3-year funding for the doctorate
- A resolutely "hands-on" approach to teaching
- An international study environment with 100% of the courses taught in English by renowned researchers and a strong international exposure throughout the curriculum
- A stimulating scientific environment and campus life, in the heart of Paris, bringing together students with varied backgrounds from the leading engineering schools and universities in France and abroad
The master's program is spread over two years and 120 ECTS, requesting full-time studies. Each academic year is divided into two semesters.
Master Year 1
Download the curriculum (Year 1)
- Fundamentals of quantum systems (9 ECTS)
- Quantum mechanics (3 ECTS)
- Quantum optics (3 ECTS)
- Quantum communications (3 ECTS)
- Mathematical methods for quantum engineering I (2 ECTS)
- Introduction to quantum computing (2 ECTS)
- Support hardware for Quantum technologies (3 ECTS)
- Hardware for photons (Photonic devices and systems) (1 ECTS)
- Hardware for electrons (Electronic devices and systems) (1 ECTS)
- Hardware for atoms (Atomic devices and systems) (1 ECTS)
- Quantum matter (6 ECTS)
- Quantum theory of materials (Electrons and devices VLSI) (3 ECTS)
- Atomic physics (3 ECTS)
- Quantum lab works/Lab projects/Interface with private sector (7 ECTS)
- Innovation and entrepreneurship in quantum technologies (1 ECTS)
- Research internship I in the private or academic sector (15 ECTS)
- Research internship II in the private or academic sector (15 ECTS)
Master Year 2
- Fundamentals of quantum systems II (4 ECTS)
- Quantum mechanics (2 ECTS)
- Introduction to quantum information theory (2 ECTS)
- Control of open quantum systems (4 ECTS)
- Quantum detectors & sensors (2 ECTS)
- Quantum computing (2 ECTS)
- Quantum programming (2 ECTS)
- Case Studies: Applications of Quantum Technology (4 ECTS)
- Single photons emitters and detectors (1 ECTS)
- Superconducting Q-bits and circuits (1 ECTS)
- Quantum nonelectronics (1 ECTS)
- Atomic devices and systems (1 ECTS)
- Quantum matter (6 ECTS)
- Quantum phenomena condensed matter (3 ECTS)
- Advanced Atomic physics (3 ECTS)
- Quantum lab works/Laboratory projects (4 ECTS)
- Innovation and entrepreneurship in quantum technologies (2 ECTS)
- Research internship in the academic or private sector (30 ECTS)
Please note: Only admissions in Master's degree Year 1 will open in 2022 (September 2022).
• B.Sc in Physics, Physics-Chemistry, Engineering science etc.
• A minimum level of English B2/C1 is required.
• Excellent background in Physics and Mathematics is required.
• Application submissions: March 7 to April 28, 2022 (11:59 pm CET time)
• Interviews with eligible candidates: from 23 to 24 May 2022
• Admission results: May 27, 2022
Based on an application package (on PSL portal) and interview. Eligible candidates will be invited for an admission interview (face-to-face or remote). These interviews will be held in English.
Only complete applications submitted within the deadlines will be considered by the committee. Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Academic CV (in English)
- Cover letter (in English)
- Transcripts and diplomas from each higher education institution / university attended (Bachelor and Master if applicable).
One unique pdf for all your documents. You can use pdf-merge website for example.
- Proof of English proficiency, level C1 (proof not compulsory but recommended)
- If your first language is English or if you have earned a higher education diploma in an English-speaking university, you should include a statement to this effect.
- If not, you should include the official results from a recent test of English, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS. If you have no recent official results, you can submit some older test results provisionally. This will not detract from the assessment of your application, but we reserve the right to ask for more recent official results later in the selection process.
- References: contact details (name, position title, email) of at least two academic referees.
Tuition fees are set by ministerial decree (env. €243). Please note that you will also need to provide proof of payment for the CVEC (Student Life and Campus Fee) of €92. More information.
Institution for registration: ENS - PSL
Degree issued: Master’s degree delivered by Université PSL
Head of the master's program: Carlo Sirtori
Co-director: Nicolas Bergeal
Trouver votre formation PSL
- Par type de diplôme
- Par discipline
- Archives – Documentation
- Arts plastiques
- Banque – Finance – Assurances
- Développement durable
- Géographie - Géopolitique
- Gestion - Management
- Histoire de l'art
- Humanités numériques
- Mécanique et matériaux
- Mode et design
- Ressources humaines
- Santé - Médecine
- Science politique
- Sciences cognitives
- Sciences de l'univers
- Sciences de la terre
- Sciences de l’ingénieur
- Sciences des données
- Sciences du vivant
- Sciences religieuses
- Sciences sociales
- Ingénierie quantique