Steps to rent accommodation: support, allowances, guarantors

Rent is a significant item in your budget. It is essential to get informed before starting the process.  In France, students of all nationalities benefit from specific State allowances to find accommodation.

Housing allowances

In France, students of all nationalities benefit from specific State allowances to find accommodation.

  • The Caisse d’allocation familiale (CAF): If you pay rent for your main home and your income is low, you may be entitled to housing allowance (APL or ALS) depending on the type of your home. You can fill out a request online and estimate the amount of your aid.
  • AILE (Aide à l’installation dans un logement pour les étudiants) is a lump sum of €900.
  • Paris Logement: monthly allowance paid by the City of Paris for tenants with low income.

Security deposits

The security deposit is money to be paid at the time of signing the lease. This money is usually returned at the end of the lease unless there is damage to the accommodation. Its amount can vary between one or two months of rent depending on the type of home, lease...

In case of need, you can benefit from the Avance Loca-Pass which enables you to immediately pay the security deposit requested by the landlord and to refund it little by little, without paying interest, over a maximum period of 25 months. The maximum amount is €1,200.

The guarantor is a person who stands surety for the tenant’s debt. In case the tenant doesn’t pay the rent and additional charges, the guarantor is required to pay them. The guarantor may be either a physical person or an organization.

In the event of a housing emergency

The PSL Housing Service is not qualified to address emergency situations. You should contact the Crous social service by making an appointment with the social worker via their website: click here. You should also contact the head of your department at your PSL school.

The Fonds de solidarité pour le logement (FSL) provides financial aid for housing expenses (bills, rent, etc.).
Contact: aides.sociales[@]

Financial problems

The Fonds de solidarité pour le logement (FSL) provides financial support for housing expenses (bills, rent, etc.). Contact: aides.sociales[@]

Legal aid

ADIL (Agence Départementale d’Information sur le Logement de Paris) is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to offer legal advice on any question about accommodation. Free service is available on appointment in every city hall.

Before you contact the PSL Housing service...

Please contact your host school to find out which housing service you're entitled to. Some schools manage housing directly for their French students or international transfer students.

Students enrolled for a full year

  • Students entitled to Dauphine - PSL's housing service
    • Dauphine-PSL - National and international students
    • PSL - CPES (Cycle Pluridisciplinaire d'Etudes Supérieures, Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Program)
    • PSL - Sustainability sciences undergraduate program
    • Chimie ParisTech - PSL - international students


  • Other students
  • International students
    • Mines Paris - PSL
    • Ecole Supérieure de Physique Chimie Industrielle (ESPCI) - PSL
    • Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes (EPHE) - PSL
    • Observatoire de Paris - PSL
    • Ecole Nationale des Chartes (ENC) - PSL
    • Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS) - PSL


International exchange students (for one or two terms)

  • Université Paris Dauphine - PSL and Chimie ParisTech - PSL
    Information on the available housing is communicated to international exchange students upon their appointment.


International exchange students hosted by PSL Schools (e.g. Erasmus students) should read the International exchange students section on the "Accommodation in public student housing."

Students who are in different situations should read the pages about "Accommodation in public student housing" and "Help to find accommodation."